A nutritionally dense and savory vegan red cabbage steak roasted until crisp then drizzled with a balsamic glaze for a slightly sweet and caramelized finish.
Steak is one of those special meals that most people like to eat when they are out. How would you like to eat a steak that is easy to prepare, always perfect, and very healthy for you?
These roasted red cabbage steaks topped with a balsamic finish are one of my favorite easy meals. They take only moments to prepare but are so satisfying and are a gorgeous entrée for any meal.
Red Cabbage Steak Ingredients
Olive oil gives roasted vegetable like the red cabbage a rich and savory flavor. It also helps to give the red cabbage the slightly crispy top that adds such a fantastic texture.
Selecting a good quality balsamic is so important. The balsamic vinegar will be heated and reduced until it forms a thick glaze.
You want to use a balsamic vinegar that has a robust flavor with a hint of sweetness. As the vinegar reduces it will bring out more sugars creating a sweet and tangy glaze.
Imparts lots of flavor to these cabbage steaks. Mince the garlic finely or use a garlic press.
How to Make Roasted Red Cabbage Steaks
Have you ever wondered how to cut red cabbage steaks? It’s actually very simple!
- Slice the red cabbage steaks about half an inch thick starting from the top, cutting all the way thru the core to the bottom. You will want to leave the core in.
- Lay the red cabbage steaks on a baking sheet and apply olive oil on top. Next sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bake the red cabbage steaks in the over for 20-25 minutes or until the top begins to get crispy.
- While the red cabbage steaks are baking, heat the balsamic in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue to let it lightly simmer until mixture has reduced by half and remove from heat.
- Once the steaks are finished roasting, drizzle ¼ cup of the balsamic reduction over the steaks. Top with more reduction if desired.
- Serve immediately.
What to Eat with Red Cabbage Steaks
You can serve the red cabbage steaks with your favorite protein, grain or salad. They can act as a main entrée or a side dish.
I served them with my Pan Roasted Blood Orange Chicken and Brussels Sprout Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
FAQs and Tips about Roasted Red Cabbage Steaks
Can I use green cabbage?
You can use the same method with green cabbage. However, I still prefer to use red cabbage for this recipe.
Can I grill the red cabbage steaks instead of bake them?
Grilling the red cabbage steaks would work. I would recommend a vegetable tray so that the cabbage doesn’t slide through the grill grates.
Can I use garlic powder if I am out of fresh garlic?
Yes, you can but I would highly recommend using fresh. Just be sparing if using granulated garlic. A little goes a long way.
Looking for more cabbage recipes? Check out these recipes.Print
- 1 medium/large red cabbage
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice the cabbage steaks ½ inch thick starting from the top all the way through the bottom (leave the core in).
- Lay the ‘steaks’ on a baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bake at for 20-25 minutes
- While the steaks are cooking heat the balsamic in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Lightly simmer until mixture has reduced by half.
- Start with drizzling a ¼ cup of balsamic reduction on the steaks and top with more if desired
Keywords: red cabbage steaks, red cabbage, steaks, roasted red cabbage