I have been making citrus slaw for many years. It has always been one of my favorite things to put on top of tacos instead of using lettuce. Recently my sister asked for my recipe for citrus slaw and I realized that I had never written it down. So I sent her a text of the basic ingredients without proportions or anything and knew she could figure the rest out. She had never made it before and texted me the following week saying how obsessed she was with the slaw and I had to post the recipe. One thing that I have learned in my short, twenty-five years of life, is that my sister is always right so here I am posting the recipe! The slaw is a perfect mixture of sweet, tangy and earthy. It pairs well with tacos, burgers, chicken, steak, salad etc. I make it with equal parts red and green cabbage but you can easily change that according to taste. I’m pretty obsessed with red cabbage this season so I have been putting it in everything. I seem to go through rotating produce obsessions. I wonder what is next?! Anyway…..Sissy, this recipe is in honor of you! 🙂
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno –deseeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp raw honey (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Shred the cabbage and carrots in a food processor or with a knife.
- Mix all ingredients together and store in the refrigerator.
- Let it sit for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.
- I think the small amount of honey helps cut some of the harshness from the apple cider vinegar but it’s not required.
- Serving Size: 4