The Smoky Beet has slowly become one of my favorite drinks and I am so excited to share this drink creation with you all. I mean, how could I not be excited to share veggies + booze. To be perfectly honest, I have never liked beets because they taste way too much like dirt to me and I just have never gotten used to that flavor. BUT I finally found a way that I genuinely enjoy beets and…..THIS DRINK IS SO GOOD!
This recipe is kind of an accumulation of things that I used to not like. It is kind of amazing how taste buds can change. I used to not like beets or mezcal and that is the main components of this drink. Ironic huh? I was inspired to make a vegetable based mezcal drink and started brainstorming on flavor combinations. Mezcal is very smoky and the reason I used to not really enjoy it very much. However, I think that I just never paired it with the right thing. Ironically when I tasted the mezcal by itself I immediately thought of the earthy flavor of beets. The bold flavors really needed to be balanced out with some acidity and sweetness so I added in some carrots, lime, lemon, orange and honey.
Everything really comes together beautifully in this drink and is a super unique and refreshing cocktail. I personally view this drink as kind of a brunch drink. I don’t like a bloody mary because tomato juice and vodka (enough said).
You can easily double or even triple this recipe to make a large pitcher for a group of people. I definitely recommend following the weight measurements on the recipe for accuracy. Also, be sure to taste the juice as you make it. All produce is different and sometimes I need more sweeteners and sometimes I don’t. It really just varies on the batch so don’t be afraid to adjust.
So now you can eat your veggies and get your booze in one drink! You’re Welcome and Happy Brunchin!
The Smoky Beet
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: cocktails
A refreshing beet and mezcal cocktail perfect for Sunday brunch. Made with Mezcal, beets, ginger, pineapple, cilantro, carrots and citrus.
- 1 small beet, peeled and chopped (2.5 oz)
- 2 inch piece ginger, peeled (0.5 oz)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped (3.5 oz)
- ½ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 Tbsp honey
- ½ cup water
- 4 oz mezcal (I used Montelobos)
- Sparkling water
- Add the beets, ginger, cilantro, carrot, lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, honey and water to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and then repeat the process (double strain)
- Put the beet mixture in small pitcher and mix in the 4 ounces of mezcal.
- Fill two large glasses or four small with crushed ice and fill with the juice mixture and top with sparkling water.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: beet and mezcal cocktail, beet cocktail, mezcal cocktail, mezcal brunch cocktail
Leave a Reply