Beef Brisket Tacos have a very special place in my heart…or maybe I should say stomach. Anyway, they are hands down one of my favorite foods and really just any taco in general. I could probably eat them every day and not get sick of them. Because we live in the age of taco bell I feel like tacos get a bad rap of being super unhealthy. I totally agree that they can be but I think tacos can really be an outlet to eat a lot of really nutrient dense produce. We always load our tacos down with 4-5 different seasonal vegetables; use a good quality protein and grain-free tortillas. For example, my seasonal breakfast tacos and the guajillo sweet potato tacos.
This brisket is a great slow cooker recipe for a busy week and you don’t even have to make tacos out of this brisket. We use it for burrito bowls, salads, breakfast and a myriad of other dishes.
If you have an Instant Pot you actually can cook it in there and just follow the instructions for pressure-cooking beef. It will only take an hour or two to cook and that is always a plus.
I have optional toppings listed below because you can really use any of your favorite taco toppings or what is currently in season. Those are just some of my personal favorite pairings with brisket.
So here’s to creating a healthier Taco Tuesday and giving tacos a better rap!
- 2 –3 lbs beef brisket
- 1–2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups broth
- Chipotle lime mayo
- Red cabbage
- Pumpkin seeds
- Spicy pickled onions
- Mix together all of the spices in a small bowl and then liberally season the brisket on both sides. Set aside
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the brisket and sear both sides for about 1 minute and then remove from the pan.
- Add the onions and quickly sauté for about one minute and them and the brisket to a slow cooker.
- Add the stock and cook on high for about 8 hours or until the brisket falls apart.
- Prepare taco shells and toppings and then shred the brisket. Build tacos according to personal preference and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: slow-cooker brisket tacos, slow-cooker brisket, how to make slow-cooker brisket