A few weeks ago I posted on Instagram about this Skirt Steak Salad Bowl from Clean Eating Bowls written by Kenzie Swanhart. I also did a little Instagram story on how to make the salad. That story ended up being constantly interrupted by our puppy chewing on something though (Thanks Maya).
Kenzie over at Cave Girl in the City so graciously gave me permission to share this recipe with you all and I am really excited because it was SO crazy good.
Before I share the recipe I want to talk a little about Clean Eating Bowls. This cookbook contains 100 real food recipes to make clean eating fun, easy and convenient.
This book has a myriad of clean and healthy bowl recipes ranging from smoothies, breakfast, salad, noodles, dessert bowls and many more. My favorite part of the cookbook is that each chapter has a guide in the beginning for you to also be able to customize your own bowl if you want. It gives you all the tools to help you build your own delicious dish.
Probably 80% of our meals during the week are some variation of clean eating bowls and that is one reason I love this cookbook so much. It really is a fast and delicious way to prepare healthy meals. If you have been looking for some ways to incorporate healthy meals in to your busy schedule I would grab this cookbook.
I am really excited to share this Skirt Steak Salad Bowl with you all. I seriously couldn’t believe how incredibly easy and delicious this recipe was. My husband was out of town when I made it and I got to enjoy it for several meals. I am a huge fan of steak and kale salads and the addition of the pomegranate seeds was just so perfect.
Hope you all enjoy and be sure to check out Clean Eating Bowls for more healthy inspiration.
- 5–7 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1lb skirt steak, trimmed and halved crosswise, at room temperature
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- 4 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat , heat 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place the steak in the skillet and do not move it for 5 minutes. Turn it once, and cook for another 3 minutes for medium-rare. You may need to cook your steak halves separately, depending on the size pan.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest, loosely cover with foil, for 5 minutes.
- Divide the kale among 4 bowls. Add red onion and shredded carrot.
- Thinly slice the steak on the diagonal, across the grain, and arrange over the salad bowl.
- In a blender, add the orange juice, 4 tablespoons olive oil, mustard, shallots, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle the salad with dressing and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
- For even more crunch, sprinkle this salad with slivered almonds.
- Serving Size: 4