This Chicken and Plantain Breakfast Bowl is one of our favorite things to eat for breakfast. Several years ago when I first changed my diet I was quite perplexed on what to eat that didn’t include a ton of bread, grains and sugar. I stuck with eggs for a while but honestly that gets old pretty fast. Then one day I realized that I didn’t necessarily need to stick to breakfast food. I could just have good, healthy and nutrient dense meals and call it breakfast. I started eating a lot of soups and just whatever was leftover from dinner. It not only made my life a whole lot easier but also kept me from getting bored with my food or getting hungry too quickly. Anyway, that was probably WAY too long of a backstory on my breakfast journey so sorry about that.
A very important thing I have learned over the past few years is that plantains GIVE ME LIFE! They are seriously one of my all-time favorite foods to eat with breakfast.
One of the many things I love about this breakfast bowl is that it can be thrown together fairly quickly. Especially if you have most of the components prepped at the beginning of the week. Earlier this week I posted the recipe for the Instant Pot Shredded Chicken and that is what I use in these breakfast bowls. You can easily substitute your favorite chicken recipe or any other form of protein.
I prefer green plantains to yellow ones because they get crispy and also are not so sweet. This makes a pretty large batch of plantains so you can always reheat these the next morning for breakfast.
This breakfast bowl includes some of my favorite toppings that are quick to throw in a bowl but you can easily substitute for what is in season or what just happens to be in your refrigerator. Get creative with it!
- ½ – ¾ cup avocado or coconut oil
- 3 green plantains, peeled and sliced ¼ thick
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
Breakfast Bowls (yields 2)
- 1 cup spinach, divided
- 2 radishes, sliced and divided
- 1 cup shredded chicken, divided (I used this one)
- 1 avocado, divided
- 1 cup fried plantains, divided
- Heat the oil in a large skillet (I prefer cast iron) to medium-high heat. Add the sliced plantains and cook for 4-5 minutes a side.
- While the plantains are cooking mix the spices together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove them from the oil and on a plate lined with a paper towel and sprinkle with some of the seasoning. Repeat until all of the plantains are done frying.
- Build your bowl by adding the spinach, radishes, chicken, avocado and plantains.
- Top with your favorite dressing or salsa or eat as is.
- You may have leftover plantains.You can store them in the refrigerator and reheat the next day for breakfast!
- Serving Size: 2
Keywords: chicken and plantains, chicken and plantain bowls, fried plantains and chicken