These quick spicy pickled onions may be my new favorite thing to put on basically everything. You may have had pickled onions on a taco or some other Mexican dish. It adds a bit of sweet and tangy to a flavorful dish.
I decided to add jalapeno to these quick-pickled onions to give them a little more depth of flavor and a kick of spice. I chose to take the seeds out of the jalapeno but leave some of the ribs in. If you don’t like spice at all you can go ahead and remove the ribs or just leave out the jalapeno completely.
I love to use a Weck Jars for these pickled onions but you can easily a mason jar or cover a bowl. You just want to make sure that the onions are completely covered in liquid. If necessary, add more water or vinegar until the onions are submerged.
We like to put these onions on eggs, tacos, grilled chicken, burgers or salad. I have an upcoming salad recipe using these onions so stay tuned.
Easy recipe for some spicy pickled onions. Perfect addition to any tacos, salads or burgers.
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and sliced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 6 peppercorns
- Slice the red onions and set aside.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, water, honey and salt and stir until everything is combined.
- Add the onions, jalapenos and peppercorns to the liquid and let set for 1.5-2 hours at room temperature.
- Strain the liquid and store in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: quick pickled onions, spicy pickled onions, quick spicy pickled onions,