On day three of my “Ten Days of Thanksgiving” I am sharing a delicious and nutrient dense Kale and Roasted Golden Beet Salad.
This is probably one of the best salads I have made in a long time and a perfect complement to all the heavy dishes that are served on Thanksgiving.
This salad was actually inspired by an appetizer we had here in Nashville at Le Sel. I don’t normally love beets but we got served a delicious golden beet appetizer that kind of changed everything for me. The next day I went out and bought some golden beets are starting cooking with them.
The great thing about this salad is that you can prepare a lot of it ahead of time so it can be thrown together in a matter of minutes. You can roast the beets the night before, make the dressing and even chop all the greens.
The tastiest and healthiest salad you could ever have. It is the perfect fall salad with massaged kale, roasted beets, carrots, goat cheese, pomegranate seeds and a dijon vinaigrette.
- 5 golden beets, peeled and sliced (approximately 2 cups)
- ½ cup fresh fennel, sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 small carrots, sliced (I used heirloom carrots)
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2–3 Tbsp goat cheese
- 2 tsp minced garlic, fresh
- 1 Tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and slice the golden beets about ¼ inch thick and place on the baking sheet with the fennel.
- Sprinkle salt and drizzle the olive oil and roast for about 15 minutes.
- While the beets are cooking add the chopped kale to a large bowl with the olive oil and massage/kneed the leaves until tender.
- Slice the carrots with a mandolin or peeler and add them to the bowl with the red onion, pomegranate seeds and goat cheese.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake until combined.
- Once the roasted vegetables are done cooking let them cool for about 5 minutes and then add them to the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Add the dressing right before serving
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: kale and roasted golden beet salad, kale and beet salad, roasted golden beets,