When I first changed my diet I noticed that breakfast was the hardest meal for me. Sadly, a lot of standard breakfast meals are really rather unhealthy. You can only eat so many eggs before you need a break too. I also try to not eat them every day. I listen to Chris Kresser podcasts a lot and if you have ever kept up with those than you would know that he refers to plantains a lot.
About a year ago I decided to give them a try for breakfast and I have been hooked since. They really are a super simple dish that can be prepared very quickly. They are also super filling. I usually refer to them as my “super food.”
We often pair the plantains with some hot pork sausage from the local farm where we get our meat. You can easily use your favorite breakfast meat or pair it with a protein shake.
Fried Plantains and Breakfast Sausage
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- ½ lb ground hot sausage
- ¼ cup cilantro (optional)
- 1 Plantain (I prefer them somewhere in between green and yellow)
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Dash of sea salt (optional)
- Dash of chili powder (optional)
- Mix the cilantro in with the sausage and create four small patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the sausage. Cook for approximately five minutes a side or until internal temperature reaches 165.
- Peel the plantain and slice diagonally into about one inch slices.
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the slice in the oil once it is fully heated. Cook for two to three minutes a side.
- Remove the plantains and sprinkle with salt and chili powder if desired.
- You can easily adjust the quantity to feed more than two people.
Keywords: fried plantains for breakfast, plantains and sausage, how to make fried plantains