This recipe is one of my husband’s favorite meals. He has been asking me to make it for quite some time and I only recently got around to doing it. I posted it about a year ago and recently decided to update it and reshoot the pictures. One of my favorite things about cooking is that it is always changing and hopefully improving. The same goes for food photography. So this is a new and improved butternut squash lasagna recipe.
The lasagna “noodles” in this recipe are grain-free crepes. I personally use Against all Grain crepes/tortillas but you can use any of your favorite tortillas/crepes if you like. This recipe is great if you are craving some comfort food and something more filling.
- 1 cups diced onion
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1lb mild pork sausage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Salt/pepper to taste
Butternut squash sauce
- 5–6lb butternut squash
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk
- 1 Tbls garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tbls fresh basil, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Recipe Here
- Preheat the oven to 450.Place the squash on a baking sheet and roast approximately 35-45 minutes or until squash has softened.
- Peel and seed the squash and cut into large chunks.
- Place the squash in a food processor or blender and mix with the rest of the sauce ingredients.
- While the squash is baking heat a pan with olive oil and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add the sausage and chop it in to fine pieces while cooking.
- Throw in the kale and the seasonings and lit simmer until all ingredients are cooked. Approximately five minutes.
- Follow the crepe instructions in the link above. I personally use a griddle to speed of the crepe making process.
- Once you have finished cooking all of the crepes you can start assembly.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Grease a small rectangular baking dish
- Add two crepes and spread about 1/3 cup sauce and one cup of filling. Repeat with three more layers.
- Top it with two more shells and liberally spread more sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until lasagna is hot and bubbly.
- You can bake the squash and make the crepes ahead of time to make assembly faster.
- Serving Size: 4