I have been super excited for the changing of the seasons. There is something really refreshing about the shift in weather and a time to kind of step back and make plans and set goals for the upcoming season. Fall is also the prettiest season here in Tennessee.
I have also really enjoyed the shift in food for this season. I think I say that every season but I am definitely ready for lots of soup and winter squashes.
I am super excited to share this cider braised chicken recipe. It is basically the essence of fall flavors with the cider, rosemary and carrots.
I use hard cider for this recipe and I like to find the driest cider possible. I usually look for the one with the least amount of sugar in it. In theory, non-alcoholic cider should work too but I haven’t personally tried it. You could easily add more vegetables to the pan and make it a meal!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2.5lbs Chicken drumsticks
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp ghee or grass-fed butter
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1.5 cups hard apple cider
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Pat the drumsticks dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the hot skillet and brown the skin. Approximately 2-3 minutes a side and then take the chicken out of the pan and place on a plate.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and add the fresh rosemary, garlic, carrots and oregano.
- Simmer the butter mixture for about 2 minutes and then add the cider.
- Bring the cider to a boil and add the drumsticks back in to the pan.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- I prefer to use an alcoholic apple cider that is dry. Sometimes they are labeled that way or you can look for the one with the least amount of sugar.
- If your chicken is not as crispy as you would like you can turn the oven on high broil for the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: apple cider braised chicken, hard cider braised chicken, chicken cooked in hard cider