Oh man! I am so super pumped for this recipe. It has been really hard to not eat all of this cake in one sitting. It has also been hard to not share a million sneak peek pictures with you all.
I have the honor of contributing this recipe to an awesome celebration that Simple Mills is throwing because they are now being sold in 1,000 stores. They asked how I could celebrate simply and show how celebrations do not need to be elaborate to be delicious. In case you aren’t familiar with this company, Simple Mills baking mix is one of the only almond flour based baking mixes on the market. These mixes have no added preservatives and all of their products are gluten-free and even packaged in a designated gluten free facility.
I have a very special place in my heart for bananas foster. I am not really sure what it is about it but I LOVE it. It really is the easiest thing to throw together but every time I eat it I feel like it’s the most magical tasting dish ever and I knew I wanted to incorporate it in this cake.
As elaborate as this cake may look it really was quite simple. The mix takes just a few minutes to throw together. While the cake is baking you can whip of the banana foster filling and whipped cream, if desired. You have the option of creating a layer by slicing the cake in half or you can just put it all on top and eat it while warm. It is up to you and how you chose to celebrate simply!
If you want to join in on the #SimpleCelebration head over to the Simple Mills Instagram account where you’ll find this featured recipe and instructions for how you can WIN a #SimpleCelebration giveaway pack, which includes: 2 Simple Mills Mixes and a gift card to Sur La Table.Print
Chocolate Cake with Banana Foster Filling
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: One 8 inch cake 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: Oven
- 1 Box Simple Mills Chocolate Muffin & Cake Mix
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups sliced banana (approximately 3 bananas)
- 4 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 ounces rum, whiskey or bourbon
- 1–2 cups coconut whipped cream or regular whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8 inch round cake pan.
- Whisk the eggs, water, oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the batter in the cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking prepare the banana foster filling.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and melt the butter. Add the coconut sugar and cinnamon and stir.
- Add the sliced bananas and lemon juice and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the two ounces of liquor. Carefully use a lighter to light the bananas and let them “foster” until the flames are gone.
- Let the mixture cool and then put the banana foster in the middle layer of the cake or just drizzle on top with whipped cream, if desired.
- If you decide to do layers for the cake it will need to be completely cooled before slicing it in to two layers.
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: chocolate banana foster cake, cake with banana foster filling, chocolate banana cake, gluten-free chocolate banana cake
Leave a Reply