I seem to be coming down with some sort of cold this week. I felt it coming on yesterday and immediately started searching for some soup ingredients. I ended up coming up with this recipe I am posting this week. I was able to use a bunch of seasonal produce in the soup and include a bunch of greens from our CSA basket.
Butternut squash is by far one of my favorite things to cook with during fall and winter. Our CSA is awesome and always provides Kale the size of a small toddler so it usually lasts us a while. I really love the combination of kale and butternut so this soup was really the perfect comfort food for me as I fight off this cold I also really try and up my green intake when I start to feel sick. It seems to always help. This soup also tastes like an upgraded and healthier version of chicken noodle soup.
You can always throw in more of your favorite fall/winter vegetables to add more variety and nutrients to the soup!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chopped butternut, peeled and cored
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chopped kale, ribs removed
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 6 cups bone broth or stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat and add the olive. Once hot add the butternut and bell pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chopped kale, thyme and basil and thoroughly mix.
- Add the broth, salt and pepper and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until butternut is softened.
- Add the cooked shredded chicken once the butternut squash is softened.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Chicken kale and butternut soup, butternut soup with chicken and kale, healthy chicken kale butternut soup