This Vegan Turmeric Ginger Ice Cream is one of my new favorite recipes and I could not be more excited with how this turned out. I really love playing around with unique and non-traditional ice cream flavors. There is so much you can do with the base of creamy and sweet coconut milk. Sweetness allows you to really expand the flavor profile and balance it with robust and complex spices. This ice creamhas a very similar taste to Golden Milk.
Okay, I will stop talking about flavor profiles and talk more about the ice cream. I have a recipe here on the blog for Turmeric Ginger Cookies. They are hands down one of the best recipes I have on this website. So be sure to check that out.
I use fresh turmeric and ginger in this recipe but there is also a substitution for ground turmeric. Ginger is pretty easy to find at your local grocery store so I would stick with the freshly grated if you can. Fresh turmeric can sometimes be a little harder to find but most health foods stores should carry it and even my local Kroger stocks it now. You may find the color of your ice cream will vary some between using fresh or ground but the flavor should still be wonderful.
Turmeric is such a powerful anti-inflammatory spice and something that I like to try to add to dishes to not only gives lots of flavor but give me an extra boost of nutrients.
I decided to top this ice cream with some maple candied pecans. You definitely don’t have to do that but I find that the texture is nice and also the sweetness helps mellow out the heavy spice flavor. The ice cream is still great without the pecans but I decided to still include them in the recipe if you decide you want a little extra crunch.
If you saw my ice cream post from a few weeks ago you know that I recommend Date Lady Dates for my ice cream recipes. They are basically like caramel and they create the perfect texture for vegan ice cream and also add a really nice flavor. I really can’t recommend them enough!
Hope you all are feeling adventurous and want to add some anti-inflammatory turmeric to your treats!
Vegan Turmeric Ginger Ice Cream made with creamy coconut milk, warming spices and sweetened with natural sugars. All topped with some candied maple pecans.
Vegan Turmeric Ginger Ice Cream
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 3.5 ounces dates, pitted (I prefer Date Lady dates)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp fresh turmeric, freshly grated (or 2 tsp ground)
- 3 tsp fresh ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tsp nutmeg, freshly ground
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Pinch of salt
Candied Maple Pecans
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple
- Combine all of the ice cream ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Strain the batter through a sieve if dates are not fully blended.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow according to manufacturers instructions.
- Store in an airtight container and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Heat a skillet to a medium heat and add the coconut oil and melt.
- Add the maple syrup and let mixture lightly simmer for about two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the pecans and let the mixture simmer and stir them frequently. Let the mixture reduce and simmer for about 8-10 minutes until sugar mixture is thickened.
- Pour the pecans on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let cool and then break apart in to pieces.
- Serve on top of ice cream as a garnish if desired
- The candied pecans in this recipe are optional. They add some great texture and sweetness but not necessary.
- I use THIS ice cream maker
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: turmeric ginger ice cream, golden milk ice cream, turmeric ice cream with coconut milk, vegan golden milk ice cream