This Vegan Southwest Potato Salad recipe was originally created for my Summer Gathering event where I hosted an outdoor party complete with an assortment of appetizers, margarita bar and a build your own s’more bar.
Food has always been a significant part of my life for many reasons. It is something that inspires and fuels my creativity. One of the aspects of food I have always loved the most is the ability for it to bring people together. To gather around one place and spend time together eating, drinking, conversing and laughing.
I believe that creating food for people can truly be a way of showing that someone is heard and seen. Food really can allow you to communicate with people that no matter where they are in life that you notice them. They are seen, heard and loved.
My desire is for people to leave my house not only full of food but also feeling like someone took the time to say that they matter. Often times I don’t think we realize the power that food and gathering can really have on others. It is a powerful tool to truly create a powerful community.
Everything for this summer gathering is designed for you to make it ahead of time so the host can truly be a part of the party instead of cooking in the kitchen. So even if you don’t make these recipes I encourage you to take some time this summer to invite your friends over. Eat, drink and spend some time gathering together with old and new friends.
This creamy potato salad is made with absolutely no dairy but with nutrient rich cashews. Soaking the cashews and blending them with the rest of the ingredients lends a flavorful dressing that nobody will even guess is vegan.
“This is the power of gathering: it inspires us, delightfully, to be more hopeful, more joyful, more thoughtful: in a word, more alive. – Alice Waters”
Click the box below to see the full post
[button url=” https://jessiskitchen.com/2017/06/29/a-summer-gathering-2/” label=”A Summer Gathering” size=”large” color=”#2a9a75″ target=”_blank”]
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 green onion stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 pounds red or gold potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage, chopped
- Quick soak your cashews by placing them in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then take off the heat and put a lid on and let soak for 1 hour. Strain the cashews and rinse.
- While the cashews are soaking cut the potatoes in to bite-size pieces. Fill a large pot with water and heat over medium-high heat and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil for about 20 minutes or until potatoes have softened. Strain and place the potatoes in a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt to cool.
- Add the soaked cashews to a blender with the rest of the southwest sauce ingredients and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the bell pepper and cabbage to the potatoes and toss. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and stir to combine.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until everything is chilled. Stir before serving.
- Make ahead: You can cook the potatoes and make the sauce the day before. Combine everything a few hours before the party
Keywords: southwest potato salad, vegan potato salad, vegan Southwest potato salad, potato salad, creamy potato salad
All images by Lillie Duncan