Oat Flour Chocolate Zucchini Cake.
This cake is so rich, decadent, moist (yes, I said it) and utterly delicious.
I wanted to create a new chocolate zucchini cake recipe that was not only gluten-free but also nut-free. Oat flour has become one of my favorite whole grains to bake with. It is naturally sweet and reminiscent of using whole wheat flour.
Ingredients you need
The main ingredient list is fairly simple…
- Olive oil: I love when I can use olive oil for baking because it adds such a richness of flavor. I prefer using oil for this chocolate cake because I feel that it helps bring out more moisture. It is also just a pantry staple more most people so readily available when you decide to make a cake.
- Eggs: Pretty straightforward. They act as the binder in this recipe and also help enhance that fluffy cake texture
- Zucchini: The real hero of this chocolate cake. It gives this oat flour chocolate cake an incredible amount of moisture and deliciousness. Also, don’t we all feel better about a cake full of vegetables? Well I guess technically it is a fruit but you get the idea.
- Cocoa Powder: Is what makes this a chocolate zucchini cake. I am using a natural cocoa powder in this oat flour cake versus a dutch processed.
- Oat Flour: It is a flour made from whole-grain oats that lends a sweet and slightly nutty flavor to these muffins. I found that oat flour is a great gluten-free alternative to add to baked goods.
- Arrowroot Flour: Is a starch that give this cake a bit of lightness. I tried making it with oat flour alone and I just didn’t like how dense the cake was turning out.
- Milk: You can use a dairy or dairy-free milk in this recipe. I personally used some oat milk. The milk just give the cake a bit more moisture.
Chocolate Cake with Zucchini
Zucchini adds an incredible amount of moisture to cakes and breads. It naturally contains a lot of water which is one of the reasons we ring out the excess before putting it in the cake. Zucchini doesn’t really impart any flavor to the cake. It primarily helps create a decadent, moist cake.
Also doesn’t hurt to have a cake full of vegetables right?
How to Make this Cake
- Start by grabbing 3 six-inch cake pans to grease the bottom and sides and then cut parchment to line the bottom of the pan.
- Then you want to sift together all the dry ingredients for the chocolate zucchini cake. This will help to ensure that all the dry ingredients are evenly distributed in the cake. Set aside
- Next you whisk together the eggs, oil, vanilla, sugar and milk.
- Grab your zucchini and use a grater to shred the zucchini (no need to peel it). After you are done use a towel or cheese cloth to ring out the excess water.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the batter and then fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Divide the oat flour cake among the three pans. I recommend using a kitchen scale to make sure the batter is even.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes and then flip out the cakes on to a cooling rack and remove the parchment paper.
Frosting for Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Okay, I used my very favorite Vegan Ganache Frosting for this chocolate zucchini cake recipe. It is the BEST dairy-free ganache frosting and it only has TWO ingredients. Yes, only two. No powdered sugar, butter etc.
Yes, oats are naturally gluten-free BUT there can be a lot of cross-contamination so if you are really sensitive or have celiac be sure to get a flour that is certified gluten-free. I used THIS oat flour.
No, I provide measurements for weight and measuring cups. However, if you have a kitchen scale, I definitely recommend that you use one. It is a much more accurate way to bake. It also helps cut down on the number of dishes you have to dirty. Fewer dishes to clean is always a win! I use THIS scale and LOVE it.
I have not tried to substitute the oat flour but I do have a recipe that utilizes almond flour. You can check out my Gluten-free Zucchini Cake recipe for a different variation.
Some More Oat Flour RecipesPrint
Oat Flour Chocolate Zucchini Cake. A decadent and moist chocolate cake that is naturally gluten-free and packed full of flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350. Sift together the oat flour, arrowroot, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and milk and whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter and whisk to combine.
- Fold the shredded zucchini in to the cake batter
- Divide the batter among three 6-inch pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then remove the zucchini cake from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- Once completely cool you can frost the cake with your preferred frosting. I used my Vegan Ganache Frosting.
- Serving Size: 6-8
Keywords: oat flour chocolate zucchini cake, gluten-free chocolate zucchini cake, oat flour chocolate cake, chocolate zucchini cake. zucchini, oat flour, oat milk, chocolate, cocoa powder