Gluten-free Chocolate Zucchini Cake!
That is me screaming it from the rooftops because I love this zucchini cake recipe so much.
Zucchini season is in full swing here in Tennessee and I wanted to use the surplus for something sweet and a gluten-free chocolate zucchini cake seemed like the logical way to go.
Ingredients for this Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Almond Flour/Arrowroot Starch
- This is the flour combination I use to make this chocolate zucchini cake gluten-free. The almond flour is the main binding flour that also gives the cake a lot of flavor. The arrowroot starch is used to give the cake some lightness.
- 99% precent of the time I will recommend using a natural cocoa powder. Personally, just not a fun of dutch-processed because of the flavor and lack of acidity.
Palm shortening or unsalted butter
- If you wish for the cake to be dairy-free then palm shortening is a great option. However, you can also substitute some room temperature, unsalted butter in its place.
- A great alternative sugar made from the sap of coconuts. However, if you don’t have any on hand you can substitute another granulates sugar such as cane or maple.
- I really like to blend multiple sugars because each one lends more flavor. You can use any grade of maple syrup. Just make sure it is not the artificially flavored kind with corn syrup.
- Room temperature eggs are ideal for this cake. if you forget to pull them out of the refrigerator just put the whole eggs in a bowl of warm water for about 5 minutes. I have not tried to make this cake with an egg substitute yet.
- I used coconut milk for this recipe but you can use any type of dairy or non-dairy milk.
Now we come to the hero of the recipe. The flavor of the zucchini doesn’t really come through in this cake but it lends and incredible texture and keeps the cake very moist. You can just use any type of cheese grater to shred up your zucchini.
How to Make Gluten-free Chocolate Zucchini Cake
The steps for making this cake are actually very simple.
Sift together all of your dry ingredients.
With a mixer beat together your palm shortening (or butter) with the sugars until mixture is light and fluffy
Add your eggs one at a time. Then the vanilla and shredded zucchini
Slowly add the dry ingredients.
Pour in to cake pans and bake. Let cool and then frost them.
In the images I used some Simple Mills Chocolate Frosting for this gluten-free chocolate zucchini cake because I really love not always having to make it and their frosting is just SO good.
If you are looking for another dairy-free frosting recipe be sure to check out my 2-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Ganache Frosting and if you are still overrun with zucchini check out my Gluten-free Zucchini Bread Waffles!
Lastly, Happy Baking!Print
This decadent and moist Gluten-free Chocolate Zucchini Cake is a great way to use up all that summer squash. Nobody would even know it is packed with vegetables.
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup palm shortening (or unsalted butter)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup milk (I used coconut milk)
- 2 cups shredded/grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease two 8-inch cake pans. Set aside
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Whisk until combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer add the palm shortening, coconut sugar and maple and beat until mixture is fluffy. Approximately one minute.
- Add the eggs one at a time and once incorporated add the vanilla, milk and shredded zucchini and mix until just combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then transfer the cake to a wire rack.
- Once the cakes are completely cooled top with your favorite frosting (see notes) and serve immediately or store it covered in the refrigerator.
- In the images above I used Simple Mills chocolate frosting for this cake but you can use whatever frosting you prefer.
Keywords: gluten-free chocolate cake, chocolate zucchini cake, gluten-free chocolate zucchini cake, zucchini cake, chocolate cake