The kitchen has always been my outlet in life for stress, creativity and fun. I’ve always been known to make a bigger mess than what is probably necessary. I don’t really mean to but stuff seems to get everywhere. I often dread the mess and cleaning up of things but there are times when I am reminded of the beauty that can result from a big mess. While I was making these frozen chocolate covered banana bites I was reminded of that very notion. I was being kind of lazy when I was covering them with chocolate. I would just haphazardly pour chocolate on the bananas and hope it covered it. When I had finished I stood up and looked down at my tray of chocolate banana mess and just smiled. The mess that I had created was actually very beautiful. The chocolate lines across the parchment paper and the disorganization of the bananas were imperfectly beautiful. It reminded me why I love cooking so much. Life is often a series of schedules, calendars and lists that I fulfill on a day to day basis. I find that I strive to live life with order and perfection every minute of the day. But then I can take some bananas and chop them up unevenly, bake them and throw chocolate on them, create a disorganized mess and the final product is beautiful and delicious. I was pleasantly reminded why I started cooking in the first place. It is my place to make a giant mess, create and produce something I consider beautiful. Not perfect, scheduled or consistent but just what I envisioned. Cooking is a daily reminder of the beauty that can be created from imperfection. An ugly tomato, a crooked sweet potato, a small piece of fruit, messy melted chocolate and many more things. Honestly, I find that there are very few things more satisfying than taking those imperfections and creating a dish I consider to beautiful.Print
Frozen Chocolate Covered Caramelized Bananas
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 whole bananas, sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 oz dark chocolate, melted
- 1 Tbsp sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 450. Cut the bananas about 1.5 to 2 inches thick and place in a bowl.
- Drizzle melted coconut oil and toss. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the banana slices on the tray
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes and flip the bananas over half-way through cooking. Let them cool for about 15-20 minutes
- Melt the chocolate and then use a small spoon to spread the chocolate over the top of the banana and down the sides. Top with Sea Salt if you desire.
- Place in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened. Transfer them to a bag or sealed container and freeze for 5 hours or overnight
- Let them sit out for about 5 minutes before eating them.
- I would use 70% or higher for the chocolate since the bananas are so sweet.
- Depending on the size of your bananas, you may need more than 3 ounces of melted chocolate.
- Serving Size: 4
[email protected] says
You have a wonderful food blog so…I’m sending you….
A foodie invitation…Come join our new vegetarian food group on Facebook and post your yummy recipes, pictures and blog links…Let’s all share and connect through food! 🙂
Wow!!!! Who wouldn’t love these?!
I love bananas and chocolate. Very yummy looking.