Here is my deal with potato salad. I did not like them until I realized that I didn’t have to use a mayonnaise base for them. I grew up in the South but I literally hate the “traditional” potato salad. When my husband and I first started dating he would always get potato salad and I finally decided to try it again. I thought that maybe my taste buds had changed some but…NO! I don’t like.
I worked at Williams-Sonoma in high school and remember this lady making vinaigrette based potato salad for one of the cooking classes. I hesitantly gave it a try and loved it. Potatoes are already a heavy and filling vegetable so adding all the mayonnaise has never been appealing to me. However, a vinaigrette is extremely light and full of lots of flavor. The Dijon and fresh dill really complement the potato instead of overwhelming it. It is a perfect side dish for any meal and is also a great salad topping!
Dijon and Dill Potato Salad
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- 1.5lbs potatoes
- 5 oz green beans, chopped (approx. 1 cup )
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp raw honey or maple
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut the potatoes in to bite sized pieces and boil for about 15-20 or until soft. Add the green beans to the pot during the last five minutes of boiling.
- Strain the potatoes and green beans in a colander and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small jar and put a lid on it and shake vigorously until combined.
- Pour the potato mixture in a large bowl and toss with about half the dressing. Cover and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Toss with more dressing before serving if desired.
- The potatoes absorb a lot of dressing. I would recommend adding more before serving.
Keywords: dijon and dill potato salad, dill potato salad, potato salad with dijon and dill
I’m not a fan of mayo-laden potato salads either (but if it’s a small amount, I’m fine with it). This looks super flavorful and delicious, and I really like the addition of green beans!