My husband and I take cocktails very seriously in our house. We both have quite a fascination with the history and all that comes along with cocktails. There is so much more to it than a rum and coke or sugar laden pina colada. One thing I love about cooking in general is the history that comes with it and cocktails have a long and fascinating history. The way that alcohol is viewed now is so different from what it used to be.
This cocktail is our new favorite summer cocktail. We have been getting cucumbers from our favorite Bloomsbury Farm. We used a combination of Broker’s gin and Lillet Blanc. A few “bartenders” notes about this drink. Lillet blanc is a type of sweet vermouth that is used as an after dinner aperitif in Europe. It is a mixture of Bordeaux grapes, citrus, and Cinchona bark (which is known to be a cure for malaria). It is very unique and insanely delicious vermouth and I am not really sure of any replacement.
We VERY rarely use cane sugar in our house. However, cane sugar has a very neutral flavor which really compliments alcohol. So when we make the occasional cocktail we usually use organic cane sugar for our simple syrup. I did try it with raw honey and it can work but if you can tolerate it – I would recommend cane sugar.
It is the 4th of July weekend! Go to your farmer’s market and pick up some SUPER fresh cucumbers and enjoy a refreshing cocktail!
- 2 oz. Gin
- 3/4 oz. Lillet Blanc
- 3/4 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup (see notes)
- 4 1/4 inch slices of cucumber
- Cocktail Shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Fine mesh strainer
- Place cucumbers in the bottom of cocktail shaker and muddle thoroughly.
- Fill glass with ice and add simple syrup, lime juice, Lillet Blanc and Gin.
- Assemble cokctail shaker and shake for 20 seconds or until outside of metal glass is frosted.
- Double strain into serving glass and enjoy!
- Simply syrup is a 1:1 ratio of organic cane sugar to water. Heat water and then dissolve the sugar in it. If you can’t tolerate cane sugar than use raw honey. See notes above in post.
Keywords: cucumber gin cocktail, cucumber gin cocktail with lillet,