This may be my new favorite recipe! I seriously can’t get over how good it is. We received fennel in our CSA basket from Bloomsbury Farms last week. To be honest, I have not done a lot with fennel in the past so was trying to think of some different ways to use it. I think that is one of the best parts of having a CSA. You are more prone to try new stuff if you are given it.
I also had a lot of cabbage so decided to make a seasonal and refreshing summer slaw. I also really love a good slaw. It took me a while to figure out what type of dressing I wanted on it. I played around with different flavors and finally decided that the sweetness of the orange and fresh basil would complement the vegetables and peach perfectly.
You can easily make this ahead of time for any summer BBQ or event. I would recommend adding the peaches last minute so they don’t get too soggy!
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup chopped fennel
- 1 cup sliced peaches
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Combine all the salad ingredients, except the peaches, in a bowl and toss thoroughly.
- Put all the salad dressing ingredients in a jar and place a lid on it and shake thoroughly. You can also put it in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Pour the dressing over the slaw and mix. Cover and place in refrigerator and let set for 30 minutes.
- Toss slaw one more time and add the sliced peaches and fresh basil if desired.
- I would recommend adding the peaches last minute so they don’t get too soggy!
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: cabbage fennel peach slaw, cabbage and fennel salad, peach slaw