Baba Ganoush! How cool is that name? Not only does it taste delicious but it has a freaking awesome name!
We went to a (newish) Lebanese restaurant called Epice here in Nashville a few months ago and absolutely loved it. The meal was so perfect and the flavors very refreshing. We got some eggplant dip with our meal and I while eating I thought about baba ganoush and the fact that I had never made it.
We started getting some egpplant in our CSA so figured it was time to give it a try. My husband and I both LOVED it. It really reminds me a lot of hummus. However, my husband and I both are not at the point where we can tolerate legumes yet so we haven’t had real hummus in a long time.
We love to drizzle some Olive Oil on top of and serve it with cucumber, peppers and some of the Urban Poser tortillas made with Otto’s Cassava Flour. It is a great snack and also great with any entrée. Perfect way to use up some eggplant and if you are missing hummus this is a great substitute.
How to make Baba Ganoush. A delicious and creamy dip made from roasted eggplant and tahini.
Yields 3 Cups
- 2.5lbs eggplant
- 4 garlic cloves, medium sized
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Chopped fresh basil (optional topping)
- Preheat oven to 425. Place the eggplant on a baking sheet and roast until eggplant is soft – 35-40 minutes depending on the size of your eggplant.
- Let the eggplant cool for a few minutes until you are able to touch it. Peel off the outer skin of the eggplant and place the flesh in a food processor or blender.
- Add the garlic, tahini, lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper and cayenne to the food processor and blend until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- You can serve immediately or cool it in the refrigerator. Before serving – drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle fresh basil and sea salt on top if desired.
- Roasting time will vary with your eggplant size. Larger ones may take longer to cook and smaller ones may not take as long.
Keywords: baba ganoush, how to make baba ganoush, how to make eggplant dip, baba ganoush recipe