I am super excited to share this Butternut Squash and Kale Quiche. I made this for a baby shower at the beginning of the month and shared it on Instagram and so many of you wanted the recipe. Honestly, the first time I made this I just winged it and threw this that and everything in the quiche and just hoped it would turn out. Then I realized on the way to the baby shower that I probably should have tried it before serving it to a crowd. I then remembered that I forgot to grease the pan which is basically the worst idea ever with egg dishes. Apparently I was just one crazy quiche risk taker….yeah that is a thing.
Anyway, the quiche ended up being GREAT (except for sticking to the pan) so that was a huge relief. Then I had people asking for the recipe and I realized that I needed to write it down. Honestly, my best recipes usually happen when I am not writing anything down. I think the creative process of cooking is kind of altered when you have to stop and write ingredients down. I sometimes wish I had an assistant who I could pay with free food and then just write down recipes for me as I made them.….I’m kidding (not really).
So this quiche looks like a ton of ingredients but it actually doesn’t take that long. I just split it up in to sections to make things easier to read. The crust is based off of the one I used for the Goat Cheese and Tomato Tart and it can be made a day ahead of time if you want. Just cover it tightly and store in the refrigerator overnight. This can be reheated really well and even eaten cold. It is a great option for a quick protein filled breakfast.
Gluten-free Butternut Squash and Kale Quiche. This gluten-free butternut squash and kale quiche is loaded with fresh herbs and creamy goat cheese to lend the perfect make ahead breakfast.
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 5 eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk (I used coconut)
- 1 Tbsp fresh freshly chopped oregano
- 1 Tbsp freshly chopped basil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- ¼ cup herbed goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9-inch pie or tart pan.
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, garlic and sea salt and mix.
- Add the egg and olive oil and mix until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Press the dough in to the tart pan and bake for 10 minutes and then remove from the oven.
- Cut the neck of the butternut squash off and peel off the outer layer. Slice the butternut into ¼ inch rings (I prefer a mandolin for this). You will need about 20-25 slices.
- Place the squash on a baking sheet and drizzle on the oil and sprinkle with salt and roast for about 15 minutes and then remove from the oven.
- While the butternut is cooking combine the eggs, milk, oregano, basil, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Layer the cooked butternut on the crust and then add the goat cheese and chopped kale. Pour the egg mixture on top and then bake for 20-25.
- Let set for about 5 minutes and then eat while hot or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- The quiche reheats really well and is also good at room temperature.
- Crust can be made ahead of time. Cover and store in the refrigerator overnight
- If you decide to us a tart pan make sure that it is deep enough to hold all the filling.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: butternut squash and kale quiche, gluten-free butternut squash quiche, goat cheese in quiche