Few dishes more classic than the combination of steak and potatoes and I have become completely obsessed with this recipe for Balsamic Skirt Steak with Rosemary Potatoes. It is incredibly simple, hearty and crazy delicious.
We have been trying to keep our meals really clean in January and often times that means that we keep meals super simple and they primarily consist of vegetables and protein. There are many benefits to doing that but one of them is that I often simplify the recipes. They don’t take a long time and don’t contain a lot of ingredients. Oh and they almost always end up being piled in a bowl and called dinner.
Over the years I have become really fond of the skirt steak cut for things like fajitas, salads etc. It is usually a very affordable cut and full of lots of flavor. It doesn’t take much to tenderize and it also cooks really quickly.
The hero of this dish is really the steak and potatoes but I decided to pair it with some massaged kale and bell peppers. I just like to add as many nutrients as possible but you definitely don’t have to do that. You can just eat the balsamic steak and rosemary potatoes or get creative and add any of your favorite toppings or sides.
Simple and delicious balsamic skirt steak recipe that can be served with roasted rosemary potatoes.
- 1lb skirt steak
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2lbs Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 3 Tbsp ghee or grass-fed butter
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
Optional Serving Suggestions
- 2 Cups Kale, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- Combine the skirt steak, balsamic, oil, garlic, oregano and salt in a shallow bowl or Ziploc bag. Let the steak marinate for a minimum of 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- When steak is almost done marinating preheat oven and cut the potatoes in quarters and toss with the ghee, rosemary, salt and pepper and roast for 30-35 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 500. Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with a paper towel. Place the steak on the grill and cook for 2 minutes and then flip and cook for another 2 minutes or until it reaches your desired doneness (see notes).
- Let set for about 3-5 minutes and then slice against the grain. Take the chopped kale and massage the leaves with the olive oil. Split the kale and peppers between two bowls and then top with steak and potatoes.
- Skirt steak seems to vary in thickness a lot so you may have to cook it more or less than what I said. I would recommend using a meat thermometer.
Keywords: balsamic skirt steak recipe, balsamic steak, balsamic marinade for steak, rosemary potatoes, roasted rosemary potatoes