Ancho Chile Sauce
- 3 medium sized dried ancho chiles (1.5 ounces)
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1.5 cup bone broth or beef stock
- 2 Tbls apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbls lime juice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbls ancho chile sauce
Assembly and Toppings
- Preheat oven to 350
- Stem and deseed the dried ancho chiles and place in a bowl of hot water to soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the water and place the soaked chiles in a blender with all of the other sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Combine all the meatballs ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of meat and roll in to a ball. Repeat until mixture is gone.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron or oven proof pan on medium high heat.
- Place the meatballs in the pan and let sear for about one minute.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs and place the pan in the oven.
- Let cook for 25-30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and meatballs are cooked through.
- You can easily double the meatballs to serve more people.
- Serving Size: 4