Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked (see notes)
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (I prefer Sir Kensington)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chopped basil, fresh
- 1 Tbsp chopped oregano, fresh
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp ground flax + ¼ cup water (vegan egg)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Combine all of the cream cheese ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Scoop in to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the crust.
- Combine the ground flax and the water in a small bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease 6 mini tart pans.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot, baking soda, garlic and salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the flax egg and olive oil and mix until combined. It should easily form in to a ball. If too dry then add a little more water.
- Divide the dough among the tart pans. It should be about two tablespoons per tart and press in the bottom and up the edges.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and let cool completely.
- Remove the crust from the tart pan and spread cream cheese on the bottom and top with sliced tomatoes.
- You can soak the cashews overnight or quick soak them. Place the cashews in a small saucepan and fill with water until cashews are fully submerged. Bring the water to boil and then take off the heat and place a lid on the saucepan and let cashews soak for a minimum of one hour. Drain them in to a colander and then rinse.
- I used the Sir Kensington Fabanaise for this recipe. I prefer not to eat soy and I don’t tolerate eggs very well so their product is the perfect option for me. If you eat eggs feel free to just use your favorite clean mayonnaise brand.