- 1lb of tomatillo (about 12 small)
- 2 small poblano peppers or 1 large
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and chopped
- ¾ cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup packed and chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Juice of 1–2 limes (About 3 Tbls)
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the grill or oven to 450. Husk the tomatillos and set about half of them aside.
- Take the other half of the tomatillos, the poblano, and serrano and coat with oil, salt and pepper.
- Place on the grill (or oven) and roast about 2 minutes per a side. I find that the oven always takes longer than the grill so use your discretion.
- They should all be slightly charred and softened when you take them off the grill.
- Chop the reserved tomatillos, onion, cilantro, garlic and the roasted ingredients you pulled off the grill. Be sure to deseed all the peppers.
- Place it in a bowl and add the lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly and put half the mixture in a blender or food processor and pulse until desired texture.
- Put back in the bowl and mix thoroughly. Eat right away or place in the refrigerator. Will taste better the longer it sits.
- If you don’t like heat you can substitute 1 jalapeno and be sure to deseed it after roasting.
- Serving Size: 4