- 5 cups cubed gluten/grain free bread (see notes)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1lb ground sausage (spicy or Italian)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ¼ cup chicken stock
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the bread cubes to the pan and toss with the olive oil and let them toast for about 15 minutes and then remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions, celery and apples and cook until onions are translucent – about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the the sausage and break the sausage in to small pieces.
- Add the sage, oregano, garlic and salt and cook until sausage is cooked through.
- Grease a large 9×13 pan and add the bread crumbs and sausage filling to the pan and mix together.
- Whisk the eggs and stock together in a small bowl and then pour on top of the stuffing. Mix to thoroughly combine and then loosely cover the stuffing with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes to brown the top.
- Garnish with the chopped hazelnuts and serve.
- I usually like to save some time by using a mix for the bread. My personal favorite is the Simple Mills Artisan Bread. It is really fast to make and incredibly delicious. Feel free to use any of your favorite bread though.
- You may need to adjust the amount of stock. Sometimes it can need a little more if stuffing is too dry.
- Serving Size: 6