Healthy roasted butternut squash tossed in garam masala seasoning and roasted in the oven until soft and caramelized. The squash is then topped with a tangy yogurt sauce, pomegranates and pumpkin seeds. A delicious side dish to compliment any meal.
2 pounds sliced butternut squash, ½ inch thick (one large butternut squash)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt, divided
¼ cup plain yogurt (dairy or dairy-free)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1–2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1–2 tablespoons pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 400 and line the inside of a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the neck off the butternut squash and remove the skin and slice in to ½ inch rings. (reserve the bottom half of the butternut for soup or other things – see notes).
- In a large bowl toss the sliced butternut with olive oil, garam masala and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Place on the baking sheet and roast for about 25 minutes or until butternut is tender and slightly caramelized.
- While the squash is cooking make the yogurt sauce. In a bowl combine the yogurt, lime, ¼ teaspoon salt and chopped cilantro. Stir and set aside.
- Place the butternut squash on a large plate or platter. Top with pumpkin seeds and pomegranate.
- Drizzle on the yogurt sauce right before serving.
I chose to just use the neck of the squash for this recipe so it can make rings. However, if the shape doesn’t bother you then you can scoop of the seeds and have butternut halves.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: garam masala butternut squash, roasted curry squash, roasted butternut squash, healthy butternut squash, garam masala roasted squash, garama masala spice, yogurt, lime, butternut squash, vegan butternut squash, vegetarian sides