A zesty Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup. A simple and nourishing soup that can be thrown together in a matter of minutes.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Zest of 3 lemons
- Juice of 3 lemons (or more to taste)
- 8 cups broth
- 3.5 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2–3 cups cooked rice (optional)*
- Heat oil in large dutch oven. Add the onion, celery, carrots and bell pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, herbs, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Cook until fragrant. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and broth and put a lid on the pot and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the shredded chicken and cook for a few more minutes. Taste and adjust salt and lemon if necessary and then serve while hot. Top with rice if desired.
- If you are looking for a low-carb option you can use cauliflower rice in place of regular or just serve without any rice.
Keywords: lemon chicken soup, healthy chicken soup, chicken and rice soup, gluten-free lemon chicken soup, easy chicken soup