The best vegetarian taco recipe! Spicy guajillo stewed sweet potatoes topped with a creamy cashew date sauce.
Guajillo Sweet Potatoes
- 1 ounce guajillo chiles (I used these)
- 1 red onion, chopped and divided
- 1.5 cups water, divided
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 – 6oz can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2lbs sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
Creamy Date Sauce
- 1 cup soaked cashews* see notes
- 3 dates, pitted (I used Date Lady)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
Taco Shells and Toppings
- 8–10 tortillas ( I prefer to use Cassava)
- 3–4 radishes, sliced
- 1–2 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Spicy pickled onions</>
- 2–3 Tbsp cilantro
- Heat a medium saucepan to medium heat. Seed the dried chiles and tear them in to large pieces and toast them in the pan for 1-2 minutes. Make sure they don’t burn.
- Add 1 cup water, ½ cup red onion, lime juice and maple.
- Let the mixture lightly simmer for about 10 minutes so the chiles can soften.
- Carefully add the hot mixture to a blender along with the tomato paste, red wine vinegar, cilantro, garlic, salt, cocoa powder, and oregano and blend until smooth.
- Heat a large stockpot to medium heat and add the guajillo sauce and the remaining ½ cup water to the pot along with the chopped sweet potatoes, jalapeno and the remaining red onion. Put a lid on the pot and let it simmer for 35-45 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook until sweet potatoes are softened.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking add the soaked cashews to the blender along with the other ingredients and blend until smooth. Set aside or store in an airtight container.
- When the sweet potatoes are done heat some tortillas and fill with sweet potatoes, date sauce, avocado, pickled onions, pumpkin seeds and cilantro.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
- You can soak the cashews in water for about 4-6 hours and then strain and rinse. You can also quick soak them by placing them in a saucepan covered with water and bringing them to a boil and then taking them off the heat. They can soak for about 30 minutes and then strain and rinse.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: vegetarian guajillo tacos, guajillo tacos, guajillo sauce, sweet potato tacos, guajillo sweet potato tacos