Easy and delicious gluten-free lemon cupcake recipe made with only brown rice and sorghum flour. Flavorful and zesty cupcakes topped with a fluffy dairy-free, vegan buttercream.
Gluten-free Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 cup brown rice flour (164g)
- ½ cup sorghum flour (66g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup granulated cane sugar (I used organic) (230g)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup avocado oil (160g)
- ½ cup plain coconut yogurt (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup palm shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3–4 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- For Lemon Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 and fill muffin pan with liners.
- Sift the brown rice flour, sorghum flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the lemon zest and sugar and whisk together until fragrant. Approximately 30 seconds.
- Then add the eggs, avocado oil, coconut yogurt, lemon juice, vanilla and almond extract. Whisk to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
- Fill each muffin liner about ½ way full of batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a couple minutes and then move cupcakes to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For Dairy-free Buttercream: In a large bowl or stand mixer combine the palm shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste, almond extract, salt and milk and with the whisk attachment beat the frosting on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes or until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Place buttercream in a piping bag and pipe the lemon cupcakes as desired.
- I highly recommend using a coconut yogurt that has very few fillers. My recommendation is Culina and Coyo. Culina is widely available at sprouts and whole foods. If you are fine with eating dairy you can also just use any plain yogurt in this recipe.
- This post contains affiliate links
Keywords: gluten-free lemon cupcakes, sorghum flour, brown rice flour, dairy-free buttercream, vegan buttercream, palm shortening, lemon, vanilla bean paste,