Slow-cooked boneless short ribs served with creamy, spicy smashed potatoes.
Beef Short Ribs
- 2lbs (4 pieces) boneless short ribs (ordered ours on Butcher Box)*
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cups bone broth or beef stock
Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1.5–2lbs Sweet Potato, cut in to 4 large pieces
- 3 Tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee
- 3 Tbsp coconut milk or cream
- 2 Tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Julienned Jicama
- Preheat oven to 350 and heat a large enamel or cast iron Dutch oven on the stove to medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Mix together the chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, paprika, oregano, black pepper and salt in a bowl. Sprinkle the rub on the short ribs and rub it on to the meat.
- Place the short ribs in the hot oil and sear for 2-3 minutes a side and then remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté for about 2 minutes and then add the broth.
- Place the short ribs back in the dutch oven and put a lid on it and let it slow cook in the oven for 2.5-3 hours or until meat is tender and falling apart.
- Heat a large pot of water to medium-high heat and add the sweet potatoes and let boil for 25-30 minutes or until they are softened. Drain the potatoes in to a colander and let cool slightly. Remove the peel and then put the sweet potatoes in to a large bowl.
- Add the butter, coconut milk, cilantro, chipotles, garlic and salt and mash the mixture with a hand or stand mixer and mix until creamy.
- Add some smashed sweet potatoes to a small cast iron skillet or server (optional) and top with the short rib, jicama, cilantro, jalapeno and lime.
- You can also use bone-in short ribs but you may need closer to 3 pounds since the bone adds weight.
Keywords: chipotle smashed sweet potatoes, boneless short ribs recipe, how to make smashed sweet potatoes